Living off-campus can be an exciting and liberating experience for Gallaudet University students. It offers the opportunity to live independently, explore the surrounding community, and create a home that suits your needs and preferences. Here are some advantages of living off-campus as well as factors to consider when choosing off-campus housing.
Table of Contents
Off-Campus Housing Options for Gallaudet Students
1. The Yards at NoMa
Considered one of the top off-campus housing options for Gallaudet students, The Yards at NoMa offers a convenient and comfortable living experience. Located in the vibrant NoMa neighborhood of Washington, D.C., this community provides easy access to shopping, dining, and entertainment options. Here are some key features and details:
The Yards at NoMa is located just a short distance from the Gallaudet University campus, making it an ideal choice for students. The community offers a variety of amenities, including a fitness center, a rooftop terrace with stunning city views, and a courtyard with grilling stations.
Residents can choose from a range of floor plans, including studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments, allowing for flexibility and personalization.
Cost of Living
The cost of living at The Yards at NoMa varies depending on the chosen floor plan and lease terms. Rent prices typically start at around $1,500 per month for a studio apartment and can go up to $3,000 or more for a larger unit.
It’s important to note that additional fees, such as utilities and parking, may apply.
2. AVA NoMa
Another popular off-campus housing option for Gallaudet students is AVA NoMa. This modern and stylish community offers a range of amenities designed to enhance the living experience.
Features and Benefits
AVA NoMa provides residents with a 24-hour fitness center, a rooftop lounge with grills, and a pet-friendly environment. The community also offers an on-site bike storage facility, package acceptance services, and a resident portal for easy communication with management.
Apartments at AVA NoMa feature modern finishes, spacious layouts, and energy-efficient appliances.
Pricing and Lease Options
Rent prices at AVA NoMa vary based on factors such as apartment size, location within the community, and lease duration. Studio apartments typically start at around $1,800 per month, while one-bedroom apartments can range from $2,000 to $2,500 or more.
It’s essential to inquire about any additional fees and utilities not included in the base rent.
3. Union Place Apartments
For students seeking a comfortable and conveniently located off-campus housing option, Union Place Apartments may be an excellent choice.
Union Place Apartments offer spacious apartments with modern amenities. Located in the vibrant NoMa neighborhood, the community provides easy access to restaurants, shops, and entertainment options.
Additionally, the apartments offer functional floor plans, high-speed internet access, and in-unit laundry facilities.
Rental Rates and Amenities
Rental rates at Union Place Apartments depend on factors such as apartment size, lease duration, and location within the community. Studio apartments typically start at around $1,800 per month, while one-bedroom apartments can range from $2,000 to $2,500 or more.
The community also offers amenities such as a fitness center, courtyard, and garage parking.
Other Popular Off-Campus Housing Options
1. Apartment Complexes Near Gallaudet University
For students looking for a convenient and modern housing option near Gallaudet University, there are several apartment complexes in the area that cater to students’ needs. These complexes offer a range of amenities and easy access to campus, making them popular choices among students. Some of the top apartment complexes near Gallaudet University include:
- The Cloisters: Located just a few minutes walk from campus, The Cloisters offers spacious apartments with modern finishes. Amenities include a fitness center, on-site laundry facilities, and a resident lounge.
- Flats at Atlas: Situated in the bustling H Street Corridor, Flats at Atlas provides students with a stylish and contemporary living space. The apartments feature open layouts, high-end appliances, and rooftop access.
- Senate Square: This historic building has been transformed into a luxury apartment complex. Students can enjoy a rooftop pool, fitness center, and concierge services. The apartments are furnished with modern appliances and stylish finishes.
2. Single-Family Houses for Rent Near Campus
Students who prefer a more independent living experience may opt for single-family houses for rent near campus. These houses offer more space and privacy, allowing students to create a home away from home. Some rental agencies and websites offer a wide selection of single-family houses in the vicinity of Gallaudet University.
3. Shared Housing Options for Students
Shared housing is popular among students who want to live off-campus and share living expenses. There are various options available, including renting a room in a house or apartment with other students. Websites and platforms like Craigslist and Roommates.com can help students find compatible roommates and affordable shared housing options near Gallaudet University.
Advantages of Living Off-Campus
- More freedom: Living off-campus allows you to have more control over your living space and lifestyle. You can choose your own roommates, decorate the space according to your taste, and have the freedom to host gatherings or events.
- Increased privacy: Off-campus housing often provides more privacy compared to on-campus dormitories. You can have your own bedroom, bathroom, and living areas, which allows for a more comfortable and private living experience.
- Access to amenities: Off-campus housing options often come with amenities such as a kitchen, laundry facilities, and parking spaces. These amenities can enhance your daily living and provide convenience.
- Lower cost: In some cases, living off-campus can be more cost-effective compared to on-campus housing. Renting a shared apartment or house with roommates can be cheaper than paying for a dormitory on campus.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Off-Campus Housing
- Location: Consider the proximity of the off-campus housing options to Gallaudet University. Look for housing options that are conveniently located near campus, public transportation, and essential amenities like grocery stores and restaurants.
- Safety: Prioritize your safety when choosing off-campus housing. Research the crime rates and security measures in the neighborhood and consider factors such as well-lit streets, security systems, and reliable locks on doors and windows.
- Affordability: Create a budget and determine how much you can afford to spend on rent and utilities. Consider all expenses, including rent, utilities, and transportation costs, to ensure that the off-campus housing option is affordable for you.
- Amenities and utilities: Consider the amenities and utilities provided by the off-campus housing option. Evaluate factors such as the availability of laundry facilities, a kitchen, internet access, and parking spaces.
- Roommates: If you plan to live with roommates, ensure that you have compatible lifestyles and preferences. Consider factors such as cleanliness, noise tolerance, and shared responsibilities when evaluating potential roommates.
By considering these advantages and factors, you can make an informed decision when choosing off-campus housing options. Remember to thoroughly research and visit potential housing options to ensure they meet your needs and provide a comfortable living environment.
Tips for Finding Off-Campus Housing
Finding off-campus housing can be an exciting and rewarding experience for Gallaudet students. Here are some essential tips to help you navigate the process and find the perfect place to live:
Budgeting for Rent and Utilities
- Before starting your search, determine how much you can afford to spend on rent and utilities each month. Consider expenses such as electricity, water, internet, and other amenities you may need.
- Create a budget and stick to it. This will help you prioritize your spending and ensure that you can comfortably afford your monthly housing costs.
- Research the average rental prices in the area you are interested in. This will give you an idea of what to expect and help you determine if a potential rental is within your budget.
Searching for Housing Listings
- Utilize online resources such as websites, social media groups, and local listing services to search for available housing options.
- Reach out to your network of friends, classmates, and professors to see if they have any recommendations or know of any available rentals.
- Visit local property management companies or real estate agents who specialize in off-campus student housing.
Understanding Lease Agreements
- Once you have found a potential rental, carefully review the lease agreement before signing anything. Make sure you understand the terms, conditions, and responsibilities outlined in the agreement.
- Pay attention to important details such as the duration of the lease, monthly rent amount, security deposit requirements, and any additional fees or charges.
- Consider seeking assistance from a housing advisor or legal professional if you have any questions or concerns about the lease agreement.
By following these tips, you can make the process of finding off-campus housing more manageable and find a place that suits your needs and budget. Remember to start your search early and be proactive in exploring all available options to secure the best housing arrangement for your time at Gallaudet.
Living off-campus can offer Gallaudet students a unique and convenient living experience. With a variety of housing options available, students can find a place that suits their needs and preferences. With careful planning and consideration, Gallaudet students can find a comfortable, convenient off-campus housing option that enhances their college experience.